A Dirty Chai Latte is a popular drink served at coffee shops - it's a chai latte with a shot or two of espresso added. Curious about how to make a Dirty Chai Latte? You'll love this easy homemade version with a DIY shortcut plus some of my other favorite fall teas!
I'd like to thank my friends at Mirum for sponsoring this post. Opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for considering supporting companies who support Running in a Skirt.
Dirty Chai Latte
Y'all know I'm a huge tea fan. I drink it daily and love collecting different types and flavors. I routinely enjoy a cup of Tazo Awake English Breakfast tea in the morning and then switch to green or decaf throughout the day. It is one of my favorite things and is such a part of my day-to-day life. The Tazo Awake English Breakfast tea gives me a unique awakening feeling that's perfect for mornings. I love it so much I even carry my own tea stash with me when I travel. But when I really want to amp up my coffee I make my own homemade Dirty Chai Latte.
I know many of you are tea and coffee lovers too so I thought I'd share some of my other favorites for fall and the easiest way to make a DIY Dirty Chai Latte recipe at home. Trust me this version is better than the coffee house or even Starbucks!
How to Make Dirty Chai Latte At Home - My Simple Trick!
I drink tea year-round but love finding cozier flavors this time of year. Sweater and boot weather lends itself to the full, rich flavors of chai tea. TAZO makes a perfect Chai Classic Black Tea that has a robust blend of black tea, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, and spices. Sometimes it's even called Masala Chai. This is another favorite of mine I always have in the pantry. It's a great way to mix it up if you are getting bored with your basic breakfast tea.
They also offer the same classic flavor in premade concentrate, which is perfect for making a Homemade Chai Latte or Dirty Chai Latte recipe without all the fuss. It's such a great kitchen shortcut. If you are wondering how to make a dirty chai latte at home... THIS IS IT!
What is a Dirty Chai Latte?
I love the rich cinnamon and spice flavors in Chai for fall and winter. It's a great way to mix it up from going all pumpkin all the time.
Difference between Chai Latte and Dirty Chai?
The difference between a Chai Latte and Dirty Chai Latte is simply whether the shot of espresso is included. I Dirty Chai Latte includes the shot and a plain Chai Latte does not. Both of them have the same blend of black tea and spices like cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and vanilla.
What are the spices in Chai tea?
- Black Pepper
- Fennel Seed
There are lots of popular brands of tea that make a Chai tea that can create a Dirty Chai Latte at home but I love TAZO. All their tea flavors including their Zen, Awake English Breakfast, and of course their Classic Chai Tea are so good.
If you can't find the tea concentrate you can brew your own from their Chai tea bags like these. And then add the chai tea spices I listed above.
Dirty Chai Latte Ingredients
So what's in a Dirty Chai?
- TAZO Chai tea concentrate: The premade concentrate makes it super easy to make homemade dirty chai latte.
- Milk: Use your favorite milk, including unflavored non-dairy milk.
- Espresso: A shot of espresso is what makes a chai latte "dirty".
- Ice: Add ice to make an ice chai latte.
- Stevia or another sweetener: Add sweetener according to your taste.
You can find TAZO Chai Tea Concentrate in most grocery stores or order it through Amazon. <--affiliate link.
If you don't have the tea concentrate you can use a rich black tea, like TAZO. Brew the tea on the stove and allow it to simmer with cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger.
If you don't have an espresso maker you can substitute 5 ounces of extra-strong brewed coffee.
Make the recipe vegan by using almond or cashew milk.
How do you make Dirty Chai Latte?
To make the Dirty Chai Latte recipe...
- Add equal parts TAZO Chai Tea Concentrate and milk.
- Next, add a shot of espresso to make it dirty. For a regular Chai Latte just leave out the espresso (which is what I'm doing during pregnancy!).
- If you want it warm heat up the concentrate, but if you like it cold shake the mixture with ice. It's perfect with a touch of stevia too.
- Top the mixture with an extra touch of cinnamon.
You can also use a hand frother to make your milk fluffy!
The finished drink tastes better than going out and saves you time and money. It's the perfect drink for the new season!
The recipe for it is below. Hopefully, it takes the guesswork out of how to make Dirty Chai Latte. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Other Fall Inspired Drinks You'll Enjoy...
Dirty Chai Latte recipe
- 3 ounces TAZO Chai Tea Concentrate
- 3 ounces milk, or non-dairy milk
- 1 shot espresso
- ice, optional
- stevia or sweetener of choice
- Pour equal parts of TAZO Chai Tea Concentrate and milk in a glass. Add the shot of espresso, ice, and stir.
- To enjoy warm heat up the TAZO Chai Tea Concentrate and leave out the ice!
Pin for later...